Monday, November 12, 2012

Full Steam Ahead!


Today I made my first google form! An individual reflection about painting, for each student to complete, and google will even organize all the data into a spreadsheet for me.

I was excited by the capability to organize each student’s responses in such a quick and easy format. This introduction activity was a pre-assessment, and ultimately a great way for me to understand where the students comprehension levels are at before I begin tailoring the lesson to fit their needs. I am excited to begin this particular lesson on design in nature, and create abstract paintings from photomicrographs. Taking a closer look at everyday objects more closely will help illustrate how art elements such as texture, color, shape, and line all relate to things we encounter in everyday life.

The students are able to type “microscopic organisms” into their Pintrest search bar and an endless number of images are readily available for them to explore. This is a quick way for students to visually explore what they are unable to see with their naked eye. Technology offers an opportunity to students to encounter more information than ever, in an organized, visual interface. Besides utilizing Pintrest, I encouraged the students to look at photographs from National Geographic’s nature and science selection, and photos from an exhibition called microscapes. Students collected images from these sources and they pinned onto their “Micro” Pintrest boards. The students will keep these images as a reference for the composition when they begin their paintings.


Teaching art is my way to share my experiences and education with my students. My content is not only justified but also reinforced when we can integrate different subject’s content to create cohesive lessons. Technology offers these opportunities for learning that help connect us with our world around us. I was awestruck by the research my students have accomplished this far, and I look forward to the inspiration it evokes in their final paintings.


No comments:

Post a Comment